A heating appliance has become one of the most used systems, especially during winter. Based on its heavy usage, you may encounter a broken heating element that requires repair. Before beginning furnace repair in Las Vegas on your own, this guide will explain why it is a good idea to trust experienced professionals for the job.
The heating element in a heating appliance
The heating element is the term used to represent the metal wire heated with electric current to produce heat. This controlled amount of electric current allows the coil to heat up to a certain temperature and thus proves useful in your daily life.
From coffee makers to water heaters, most heating elements come as an available ribbon and are made of nickel and chromium alloy. This alloy ribbon resists the current flow and heats up, converting electricity into heat. The higher the resistance offered by the wire, the higher the rating.
Problems with a heating element
The process of heating element repair
Once after repair or replacement, you can have experience and information about the heating elements and the aftermath. For a successful repair, you should essentially have the below tools:
Start by testing a small piece of heating element for continuity and then plug in the appliance to check the suitability. Follow the steps without a miss.
- The first step is to turn off the device’s power and unplug it from the switchboard. For appliances like an oven, turn the entire circuit off from the service panel.
- Read the manufacturer’s manual to understand the structure of the device. Follow the manual and start disassembling the device to look at the internal heating element. The plug-in units, as in electric ovens, are easy to remove, yet you need to be smart.
- In the internal circuits, reset the multimeter to one-time resistance or RX1.
- Take the multimeter probes and test them by connecting them to each element’s end for a minor check.
- If you see high resistance readings up to kilo-ohms, your heating element is in working condition. However, your element might be broken or faulty if you see infinite resistance, which is too high to measure.
- In case of a faulty heating element, you can get the same size, color, shape, and resistance in the replacement and start your repair again.
- Once done, put your device back, reassemble it, and test the repair.
A note for caution
Common heating appliances for home purposes use a thin heating element in a nonconducting frame. If you are not well-equipped or experienced with installation and disassembling the entire device, you may damage it. It’s best to be careful when dealing with such a delicate wire.
Contact Paramount Air for heating repair in Las Vegas, and let our experts professionally fix faulty appliances.